The CanGames Organization Board of Directors requires that personal information collected by or on behalf of CanGames be used only in accordance with this policy. For the purposes of this policy, the term “CanGames” when used without further qualifiers is to be given its broadest reasonable meaning and will include the Corporation and an Organizing Committee. Collection by CanGames means collection by any member of the Corporation, any member of an Organizing Committee or by any staff or volunteer working for the Corporation, for the Organizing Committee, or at Convention.
Application of this Policy
- Any person who collects personal information for or on behalf of CanGames must review this policy prior to collecting such personal information and agrees to be bound by this policy.
- The obligations under this policy survive a person’s association with CanGames.
- Personal information obtained from a public source is exempted from this policy.
General Guidelines on Personal Information
- Personal information collected by or on behalf of CanGames becomes property of CanGames Organization.
- Information collected by CanGames is to be used only for the purpose or purposes for which it was collected.
- CanGames may collect personal information in order to effectively communicate with a person and demographic information in order to tailor communications with a person, and to understand and improve services to the gaming community as a whole.
- The purpose or purposes for which personal information is collected shall be determined and recorded prior to any personal information being collected.
- CanGames will not collect personal information for any commercial purpose.
- CanGames will remove a person’s personal information from its records on written request of that person.
Care and Control of Personal Information
- CanGames will take reasonable precautions to safeguard personal information and avoid it becoming known or available to third parties.
- Personal information is to be stored on Corporate and Organizing Committee devices only, in a limited number of copies (primary storage and backup) as determined by the purpose or purposes for which the information was collected.
- Personal information may be kept in more than one database, if provided to CanGames for more than one purpose (e.g. attendee mailing list and GM contact information).
- Personal information in a CanGames database is not to be accessed or used for a private purpose.
- CanGames will dispose of personal information when its purpose or purposes have been served.
- CanGames may release personal information where required to do so by law.
- CanGames may release a person’s personal information where permitted to do so by that person.
- Attendees wishing to contact other attendees may request another person’s contact information from CanGames; with the requestor’s permission, CanGames may provide the requestor’s contact information to the person the requestor was attempting to contact. CanGames will not provide the other person’s personal information to the requestor.
- Images of a person are considered to be personal information for the purposes of this policy.
Information Relating to a Person Under 18 Years Old
- If CanGames has reason to believe a person is under the age of 18 years, it will not release that person’s personal information unless required to do so by law, and will accept a request under section 9 made by that person or by that person’s parent or legal guardian.
CanGames will collect personal information such as your name and contact information in order to effectively communicate with you, and may request additional personal information (such as demographic information collected by survey) in order to tailor services to you and/or to understand and improve services to the gaming community as a whole. CanGames will not make your personal information available to any third party without your express permission, and will not use your personal information for any commercial purpose.
Approved the 18th day of February, 2015.